Jesus Camp

I was watching Jesus Camp last night--a documentary that follows a children's' Pentecostal camp around for one session. There was a girl who was talking about the Christian music she listens to. She added that she doesn't bother with Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan (Does Lin-Lin have an album?) because they deal only with boy and girl issues...etc. It was a common theme: don't associate with so-called "evil."

Suddenly I thought: What would Jesus say to this little girl? What would He say to the preacher who commonly used warlike language to inspire the children to fight against the "enemies of God." Enemies such as: politicians who believe in freedom of religion and the separation of church and state, the creators of the Harry Potter series, or Muslim people.

Based on what I know of the Gospels, Jesus would not be preaching this kind of message, especially to young (13 and younger) children. He wouldn't be getting out the vote to end any hot button issue like abortion, gay marriage..etc. He wouldn't write hateful editorials to people opposed to his principles. I think that He would share a Caesar salad with Britney Spears at the Olive Garden. He'd go see the newest Harry Potter with Bernie Madoff. And yes, he would go to a mosque and try to understand their beliefs.

I haven't finished the documentary yet, Netflix says I'm 74% done. So far, I would recommend it. It is very interesting. I would caution that you try not to become hateful toward Pastor Becky the same way she has become hateful toward many other groups. After all, that would be missing the point.