Ecuador Update and a Pity-Party

In a failed attempt to write my only final paper for my last semester at Washington State (I also have an exam) I've decided to update my status as far as my mission to Ecuador goes.

I talked to Chris, a missionary in Ecuador who is helping me, and will continue to help me as I make the transition to teaching actual students for the first time in my life. In our conversation I was able to get a more detailed picture of my time in Quito. It is likely that I'll be living with a priest and her daughter in an apartment in the cathedral where I'll be teaching. Also, Chris urged me to do everything I can to make it to Ecuador in July so I can take some intensive Spanish courses, learn the culture, and get my bearings before I stand in the classroom. I'm glad we had this conversation sooner rather than later. I start teaching in late August, so my original idea of "oh, I'll go in August or September" is out the window. "I'm stoked to go," as a pull-out quote in an article about me in WSU's Daily Evergreen said.

Time for the pity-party.
This new time frame does, however, increase my stress level significantly. I need to apply for and get my non-immigrant Visa from an Ecuadorian consulate. This requires that I collect 12 documents from about six different sources. I need to prove that I don't have any communicable diseases and get some vaccinations. I need to prove that I'm not a felon, which I think requires a notary signature. I also need several people to write letters stating that they want me or want to send me to Ecuador.
As I'm getting closer to graduation, I'm realizing that when school's over my schedule only gets busier. During my short 'summer break' I'm doing 2 weeks of mission training in Toronto and some visits to churches to talk about my mission and ask for support. Oh, did I mention that I need to raise $10,000 before I go? That would be one of the biggest stressors.
...There are more, but those are the major ones.

This seems like the perfect time for me to exercise finding inner peace. "If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient?" Anyone know who said that? It was Morgan Freeman in Evan Almighty. Yes, I'm quoting Evan Almighty, but sometimes wisdom comes from strange places. I think He's giving me plenty of opportunities to focus, think, pray, and learn. Sitting down to write this is allowing me to think about all of the great things that are happening right now and that will happen for the next two months. Father Tom made an announcement about my trip and plans for ordination at church at the tail-end of the HYC (High school Youth Conference). I was greeted by many parishioners with enthusiastic support for me and my plans. I'm grateful for this, and the scholarship that my friend Phil nominated me for with the Krista Foundation, and all the support that all of my friends and family have given me.

Also, I'm looking forward to being back home for a bit before I go. We're already talking about a graduation/send-off party. This will probably happen after I speak at Good Shepherd on June 28th. The party should be a great time, and my talk at church will give me a chance to let my home parish know me a bit better. I think Six-Day will be another highlight of the summer. It will be a busy week I'm sure, but it will give me time to reflect on everthing else as I join in worship and study with the Diocese's youth presence. It also gives me a chance to return to the place where the seed for ordination was planted.

Okay, I think this update is pretty sufficient. I'll try to write something again...perhaps after I graduate from one of the finest universities in the world in less than two weeks.

----------------
Now playing: Goo Goo Dolls - Amigone