It's Business Time

"Okay," I'm telling myself. "Time to get serious. It's business time."

This coming week school starts. I've never taught in a real class before and I don't have a teaching certificate. I learned some from my teaching courses at WSU, andluckily, a certain quality needed for teaching seems to run in my veins. English is also my native language, which gives me an upper hand. ;-) I'll be honest though, I'm a little scared.

I got some encouragement yesterday, after a very successful class with the clergy. With six of them, two are the women on either side of me in the picture, I wrote The Lord's Prayer with the lines mixed-up and told them simply to "put it in order." After about 20-25 minutes, they got it. Some of the best learning happens when the students teach themselves. Thanks Barbara Monroe and Beth Buyserie!

I guess that means I don't need to go in at all. I can just let them open their text books and figure it out.


Excerpt from their textbook:

Match each sentence with the drawing.
Good morning teacher (normally wouldn't call your teacher 'teacher,' and you normally would capitalize it if you did).
Come here student (same).
Good bye white girls (okay, seriously? even 'Goodbye (one word) white girls' sounds a little...Blazing Saddles
)


...Maybe it's best if I show up, just to make sure a bunch of ten-year-olds don't walk around Quito saying "Where are all the white women at?"