One Bread, One Body

I encountered something very powerful this morning during Communion. I thought I'd share a few of my favorite quotes about the significance of this practice.

"It is a meal to be repeated to keep Christ's memory alive and to express the unity of all followers in the mystical body of Christ."

"Augustine knew that the Jesus made present in the agape meal is present in all his members."
-Garry Wills

"...in the instant of the touch there is no place for thinking, for talking; the silent touch affirms all that and goes deeper: it affirms the mysteries of love and mortality...I am sharing food with you; it is all I can do, and it is everything."
-Andre Dubus

"I am the living bread that came down from heaven."
-Jesus

"It's a betrayal of the Anglican spirit if I don't figure out how to be friends and take communion with people who hate me and everything I stand for."
-Tim Mathis

"We take the bread and dip it in the cup to remind ourselves of Jesus' body and blood. To reflect on the truth that we're all in this together, one body, and that his body is being broken and blood being spilled are for our union."
-Rob Bell

These are just a few. Please add your own thoughts and quotes if you have them. I'd love to hear.